year end: looking back on 2012
It’s that time of the year again, when everyone brings out a fresh piece of notebook paper (or a google doc—to each his own) and maps out their dreams and plans for the new year. I didn’t think I would be writing an “end-of-the-year-recap” post, but words came into my head and I knew I had to write them out…well, type them.
2012 was quite a weird year for me. So much has happened! In 2011, had you asked me what this year held for me, I would not have been able to even fathom that I would be where I am now.
Let’s see… this year I…
- bought my first DSLR camera (miss 40D. yes, that’s her name).
- decided to pursue photography and start a business
- did the big chop and went natural (well, I transitioned but still…I cut my hair on a whim after being tired of dealing with the two textures). click here if you’re a little confused by that.
- photographed my first engagement session
- photographed my first wedding
- graduated from college (!!!!!!)
- applied to graduate school
- was accepted and moved across the country, literally, to the complete opposite coast
- went to my first photography conventions and conferences
- turned 21
- learned a lot about business and about myself and my values
- traveled the pacific northwest
- started this blog with series like “friday favorites” and “inspired monday”
There are a bunch of little (and not-so-little) miracles and accomplishments that led to all of these things that I didn’t mention. And this list is not declaring that every one of these things happened flawlessly. If I’m being honest with you (and with myself), blogging in particular has been a learning experience for me. I read so many other blogs and wonder if I’m doing it right, or if I’m truly making my blog my own. It took me this year of blogging for me to realize that…my blog would resonate more with me if I wrote to write, and not simply to be read. I’ve learned that other people’s styles of blogging don’t work for me, and that’s perfectly okay. I’m still finding the delicate balance between journaling authentically/documenting my life, and adding value to you, my beloved readers. I trust that you’ll let me know when I’ve found it…and when I’ve gotten off track.
I’m still doing the work to find out what exactly I want this blog, photography by paulina, and the woman behind them to be. And I’m excited for all of the aforementioned entities to blossom and grow.
Writing about how far you’ve come, even when you are dreaming of how far you’d still like to go, is such a beautiful thing because it reminds you of how much you have to be grateful for.
I’m so thankful to all of you who have been along with me for the ride. Here’s to a joyous 2013!!
Much love and happy New Year!